Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Avocado Vinaigrette



Avocados...

I know they are very high in Potassium, fat, and all that good stuff that us Ketonians need, but man, I really don't like them.  However, being strapped for foods rich in potassium, and my preference to try and get as much nutrients from food rather than supplementation, I have decided to try and find 5 ways to incorporate avocados into my repertoire. As I discover them, I will report back with my recipes, and hopefully they can help a few of my fellow ketoers whom the idea of eating hunks of avocados makes you queasy, and of course, those tired of Guacamole.


I had an avocado salsa at a Mexican restaurant one time, and the idea to make that spurred this recipe.  It uses Avocado as the fat, so you want to make sure your Avos are ripe.  You will need to thin it out with water regardless, but how much depends on ripeness, and how tart your like your vinaigrette, I ended up using almost 1/2 cup.  My avocados I get from a little produce stand on the side of the rode here in San Diego are tiny, but 25 for 5 bucks can't be beat.  I used 2 of my tiny ones, but it was equivalent to 1 normal sized avocado.

Ingredients:

1 Avocado
2 pickled jalapenos whole
1 tsp oregano
3 Tbsp Vinegar, I used red wine because that's what I had on hand
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4-1/2 cup water or pickling juice from jalepenos.
S&P to taste


give you an idea of the size of my avos, that is a teaspoon.

This recipe really is as easy as it gets, basically you throw everything except your liquid into the food processor and blitz it until you get a nice paste, then add the liquid til you get a creamy consistency.  As far as the liquid, I used a 50/50 mixture of the pickling juice and water, as I had used 2 whole jalapenos, to cut the heat down you may use 1, or take the time to remove the seeds, however if you have read my previous blogs, I like spicy food.


Mine was the consistency of a thick Caesar dressing, it still poured, but was super creamy and thick.


As far as what you can serve this over, I am personally using it as a sauce for some blackened chicken for my dinner tonight at work. Served with poached fish would be excellent, or even use it as a salad dressing, although you may want to thin it out more.  The wonderful thing is that the avocado flavor is still pronounced, so those that do like avocados more than I do, will still enjoy this because my goal when cooking is not to mask flavor, but enhance them with other flavors, and make an overall flavor profile that is enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment